Built on part of the City Wall, their building on Victoria Terrace has seen re-use over four centuries as a tannery, an Institute for the Relief of Incurables, sweet manufacturing, a bomb shelter and a copper etching works. Victoria Terrace was built c.1845, and it and the building follows the line of the old city wall, the Murus Castri, which itself dates from 1426.
BTA invite visitors to come and learn about the history of the building and surrounding area, admire the unusual views across the City’s Southside, including Heriot’s, Greyfriars and Arthur’s Seat and see work of the Practice.
Benjamin Tindall Architects is a practice with varied work including Masterplanning new settlements, Conservation Plans, new buildings, interventions, repairs and exhibitions to furniture design, and a portfolio including several local historic buildings along the Royal Mile that are open on Doors Open Days. They are known for their appreciation of the Art and Craft of architecture and sensitive approach.
A tour through the building, via their courtyard garden, will emerge in the West Bow.
// All photos courtesy of Benjamin Tindall Architects