One of the best things about Doors Open Days is that it’s completely free, but did you also know we run lots of competitions during September so some of you lucky winners can enjoy Doors Open Days even more? This year we’ve got lots going on and lots of prizes to be won; keep reading for all you need to know to win everything from First Class Dining on the Strathspey Railway to tickets for the Cockburn Ceilidh or family tickets to experience the Falkirk Wheel.
Timorous Beasties & The Most Scottish Building in Scotland
First up is out Timorous Beasties & The Most Scottish Building in Scotland competition. The Scottish Civic Trust has teamed up with Glasgow-based design studio Timorous Beasties, known for its surreal and provocative textiles and wallpapers, to give you the chance to win one of their beautiful black and gold thistle cushions worth £80. All you need to do to be in with a chance is take a photo of you or your family at what you think is “the most Scottish building in Scotland” from this year’s Doors Open Days. Which building stands out to you as being the ‘most Scottish’ – whether in design, architecture, location, history or function? Once you’ve taken your photo, enter by doing one of the following:
- Post the photo on the Doors Open Days Facebook page with the words “We think (name of building) is the most Scottish building in Scotland”
- Post the photo on Twitter with the words “We think (name of building) is the most Scottish building in Scotland” and use the hashtag #DOD13 and #mostscottishbuilding.
- Pin the photo on Pinterest on the Timorous Beasties competition Guest Pinners Gallery and write in the descriptor “We think (name of building) is the most Scottish building in Scotland” with the hashtags #DOD13 and #mostscottishbuilding in the descriptor.
The Timorous Beasties & The Most Scottish Building in Scotland competition closes on the 14th October, and the winner will be drawn and announced shortly after. Please see this page for full terms and conditions.
Adult Visitor Survey
Do you fancy winning a subscription to Homes & Interiors Scotland? We’ve got 10 subscriptions of the digital edition of the magazine to give away, and all you need to do to enter is complete our Doors Open Days Adult Visitor Survey after you visit a Doors Open Days venue or event. You can fill out a paper copy, or use our simple digital survey form to take part. Homes & Interiors Scotland is a leading lifestyle publication featuring beautiful home interiors and cutting-edge architecture. It is a bi-monthly magazine, so you can look forward to receiving a digital copy of the publication six times throughout the year. See our website for more information on Homes & Interiors Scotland and full terms and conditions.
Children’s Visitor Survey (Age 0 – 6 Years)
Little ones can be in with a chance of winning just by filling out our survey form too! For children up to 6 years old, British Cream Tea have kindly supplied a selection of unique and hand-crafted prizes. British Cream Tea is owned by Ouissi Gresty, a British Felt Confectioner (best job title ever?!), who hand stitches felt sculpture of British food, icons, landmark and buildings. Up for grabs are six ornamental felt skittles in the shape of iconic buildings, along with a colourful beach ball to knock them over – this is a completely unique prize as the only other similar set belongs to Ouissi’s son! British Cream Tea have also supplied a selection of their more popular wares, including a selection of felt fairy cakes, macaroons and biscuits, which are perfect for displaying in a little one’s bedroom. Just fill out the Doors Open Days Children’s Visitor Survey for a chance to win. See our website for more information about British Cream Tea and competition terms and conditions.
Children’s Visitor Survey (Age 7 – 16 Years)
For the older young people taking part in Doors Open Days 2013 we are offering this amazing prize suite of prizes provided by Black Hearted Press to one lucky winner. Black Hearted Press have provided a set of 10 Black Hearted Press comics, including Laptop Guy, School of the Damned and Maximum Alan; as well as an original page of artwork from Laptop Guy, featuring the architecture and Trongate, Glasgow (signed by the artist and writer) and a signed print from Maximum Alan 2. All you have to do is complete the Doors Open Days Children’s Visitor Survey after your visit to one of our events and you’ll automatically be entered into the prize draw. Black Hearted Press is Scotland’s leading independent comic book publisher; promoting new and exciting creator-owned, collaborative comic books and graphic novels.
Black Hearted Press are also creating a one page comic version of Laptop Guy especially for Doors Open Days 2013, with artist Sha Nazir and writer Jack Lothian, where Laptop Guy will visit a Doors Open Days venue and tell us about his experience. Keep an eye out on the blog as we’l be telling you more about this exciting venture in a couple of weeks! See our website for full terms and conditions.
Golden Ticket Competition
Following on from the success of last year’s Gold Ticket Competition we’ll be running it again this year. This year’s prizes are:
- 5 x family (2 adults and 2 children) tickets for The Falkirk Wheel – provided by Scottish Canals
- 1 x family ticket for a water taxi tour, Glasgow- provided by Scottish Canals
- A tour of Ocean Terminal, Inverclyde, and a unique opportunity to wave the ship off at sail-away on Saturday 14th September
- 4 x adult ticket for a first class dining experience on board one of Strathspey Railways steam trains
- 2 x adult tickets for the Cockburn Ceilidh, held at The Hub, Edinburgh on Saturday 28th September, 7pm – midnight, including supper
- Tickets for a tour and Glass Roof Walk in Glasgow’s Central Station
Full competition details and terms and conditions can be found on our website. To take part, just follow these steps:
- Chose the prize you would like to win a Golden Ticket for
- Look at the question for that prize on the competition page
- Answer the question for that prize
- Email your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date of that Golden Ticket
- Make sure you are aware of our terms and conditions, by entering this competition you indicate you accept these.
Good luck! There are lots of competitions to enter this year, with some amazing prizes, so you better get entering to be in with a chance of winning! Let us know in the comments if you’re going to enter any of our Doors Open Days competitions – which prizes have you got your eye on?
See you next time for more DOD updates!